Best Housewarming Gifts For Your Korean Friends!
Are you looking for the best housewarming gifts for your Korean friends? Whether you want to embrace traditional Korean decor or surprise them with personalized gifts, we have compiled a list of the best housewarming gifts that will surely impress your Korean friends. Let’s dig in!
Table of Contents
Best Housewarming Gifts
In Korea, a Housewarming party is essential, so it is a custom for guests to bring a special gift when they come to a Korean housewarming party.
Korean appreciate gifts, whether it is a cheap or expensive gifts. They do enjoy well-thoughts gifts.
However, do note that Koreans like a gift they love, something useful or personalized.
1. Kimchi Fermentation Kit
Credit to edinburghfermentarium
Kimchi is Korea’s national side dish, so Kimchi fermentation kit can be a good gift for your Korean friend.
This kit includes all the tools and ingredients needed to ferment their kimchi, including a fermentation jar, spices, and an instructions guide.
2. Korean BBQ Grill
Korean barbeque is very popular in Korea, where Koreans marinate the meat (whether it is beef/pork/chicken), cut it into pieces, and grill it on charcoal.
This special Korean bbq grill can be a great gift for your Korean friend. This housewarming gift will help them create an authentic Korean BBQ experience.
3. Wooden Korean Ducks
Credit to gochujar
Wooden Wild Geese symbolize love, loyalty, and marital harmony as they mate for life.
Korean wedding ducks are part of Korean wedding traditions. The groom usually gives the in-laws a pair of wild geese to symbolize that he will take care of their daughter for life. However, you can also use it as a housewarming gift.
4. Celadon Pottery
Celadon pottery has been celebrated in Korea for centuries due to its delicate beauty and intricate designs.
This gift will make your friend’s new home look even more beautiful. If your friend loves art, this gift will surely bring a smile to their face.
5. Potted plants
Potted plants are another great gift for your Korean friends as it will be a beautiful decor for their new home.
Other than serving as wonderful decor and being easy to maintain, plants symbolize good fortune, which is why they can be a great housewarming gift.
6. Toilet Paper
Toilet Paper is a common housewarming gift in Korean culture. Some people believe this gift brings fortune, so it is a safe option if you don’t know what they like or are interested in.
7. Traditional Korean Tea Set
The traditional Korean tea set is a beautiful and elegant gift and shows that you embrace their cultural heritage and hope they enjoy conventional tea ceremonies in their new home.
The set typically includes a teapot, tea cups, and a tea pitcher, all adorned with intricate designs and patterns. Your friends will appreciate the thoughtfulness of this gift.
8. Coffee Machine
Koreans consume coffee daily, so that coffee machines will be extremely useful gifts for your Korean friends. However, ensure they don’t have it or it will be a waste; you can ask them directly about it.
9. Candle Gift Box
Koreans love good fragrances, so a candle gift box, especially a personalized one, will be an amazing gift for your friends. Just make sure you know the scent they love.
10. Korean Table Lamp
11. Flower Bouquet
Credit to flowerstokorea
Flower bouquets are another classic gift in Korea. There are a lot of online flower shops that can directly send the flower bouquet to your Korean friend’s new house.
This gift will make a great decoration for their new home. It will remind them of your love and also make their house look beautiful.
Koreans Housewarming Party (집들이)
Usually, Koreans host housewarming parties once they return from their honeymoon and enter their new house.
They will invite family, colleagues, relatives, friends, coworkers, and other communities they’re involved in.
Here are some facts about the Korean housewarming parties you might be interested in.
- Koreans believe a housewarming party is essential to bring good fortune to their new home.
- Historically, Korean celebrate housewarming parties with the whole neighborhood. (not anymore)
- There’s a Korean tradition where the newcomer should give a ‘rice cake with red bean sauce’ as a polite way to greet their new neighbor, bring good fortune to their new home, and drive away evil spirits.
What to Avoid Giving as a Housewarming Gift
When it comes to choosing a housewarming gift for your Korean friends, there are certain things you should avoid giving as it contain negative meaning that might disappoint your korean friends.
Here are some things you should avoid when selecting a housewarming gift.
- Avoid giving clocks as gifts in Korea; clocks symbolize the passing of time and can be associated with funerals or expressing condolences. Therefore, presenting a clock as a housewarming gift may send the wrong message and be considered unlucky.
- Try to avoid gifting sharp objects such as knives or scissors. These items are believed to sever relationships or cut ties with the recipient. It is best to choose something more positive and uplifting for this occasion.
- Refrain from giving any items with negative connotations or superstitions in Korean culture, like umbrellas, which may bring bad luck according to traditional beliefs.
- Never give shoes to your Korean friends because it symbolizes separation. Korean believe that it means shoe gifts will cause the receiver to run away from them.
- Avoid a handkerchief as a gift, as it is commonly used to wipe out tears and sadness. Giving this gift is just the same as wishing them bad luck.
- Don’t give cash to your Korean friends; this shows your lack of care and thoughtfulness.
By avoiding these gifts and considering cultural sensibilities, you can ensure that your Korean friends will receive your housewarming gift well!
Choosing the perfect housewarming gift for your Korean friends can be a wonderful way to show your appreciation and celebrate their new home.
By considering traditional Korean gifts, popular choices in Korea, and being mindful of what to avoid giving, you can ensure that your gift will be well-received and cherished.
In conclusion, finding the best housewarming gifts for your Korean friends is all about thoughtfulness and consideration.
By incorporating elements of tradition while keeping personal preferences in mind, you can find a meaningful gift that shows how much you value your friendship with them and their new chapter in life!
I wish this article is giving you some insight that will help you decide the best housewarming gifts you can give to your beloved friends.
Which one of these best housewarming gifts you love the most? Let me know in the comment sections below!
Check out our another article: