Bookstore in Korea: Library and Bookstores in Seoul Local’s Love!
Are you a book-lover looking for the best bookstore in Korea and Seoul? Look no further! I will share the 7 most famous bookstores in Korea and Seoul in this article.
Each one of these bookstores doesn’t just offer you a perfect insta-worthy experience but also a reading experience.
Keep reading to learn more about these delightful bookstores and why you must visit them as you travel to Korea!
Table of Contents
Bookstore in Korea
Bookstores are one of the most visited places in Korea, both by locals and foreign travelers.
As we know, Korean people love to study, and they need to get good scores in their significant studies and get good job.
That’s why many local Korean students go to bookstores daily, especially during exam season.
Korean study culture is competitive, and even among job seekers, the competition is insane.
The government tries to accommodate these needs by creating an excellent bookstore for people to access and study most comfortably.
When we talk about a bookstore in Korea, it is not just a place for Korean nerds to get some new knowledge and information about their major study but also a place where they can take a good picture and enjoy coffee.
Bookstore in Seoul
Here is a list of the most famous bookstore in Seoul, the capital of South Korea, that you can visit during your travel. Make sure to visit one of these favorite bookstores in Seoul and take a good shot with your loved ones as you see.
1. Seoul Book Bogo - Most Instagrammable Bookstore in Korea
Seoul Treasure Den for Books, as known as Seoul Book Bogo, is operated by the Seoul Metropolitan Library. This is a new complex cultural space with tons of secondhand books. This bookstore was once an empty warehouse, magically becoming one of Seoul’s best and must-visit bookstores.
This most instagrammable bookstore in Korea has four missions: to deliver value, sharing, enjoyment, and experience for the visitors. Hotel Del Luna used this area for their filming location, in case you are a K-drama lover.
- Location: 1, Ogeum-ro, Songpa-gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
- Opening Hours: 11:00 am – 20:00 pm, weekdays/ 10:00 am – 20:00 pm, weekends
- Closed Days: Monday, New Year’s Day, Lunar New Year, Chuseok
2. Book Park (북 파크)
Book Park is located on the 2nd and 3rd floor of Blue Square in Yongsan. Blue Square is a culture complex built by the Interpark Group to help advance the performing arts.
This clean and neat bookstore in Seoul combines a bookstore, cafe, and art gallery. Since it has a ton of seats and tables, it’s one of the better spots on this list if you want to do a little studying or work while still enjoying the atmosphere.
In addition to that, blue square is well known as the largest performing art hall in Seoul as well as South Korean country; it’s a cultural complex that has a musical theater, concert hall, grand theaters, and Book Park. As you see, the book park is a perfect place to enjoy reading a good book.
- Location: Seoul, Yongsan-gu, Hannam-dong, Itaewon-ro, 294 2F & 3F
- Opening Hours: 11:00 – 22:00 (Closed on Mondays)
- Closed Days: Lunar New Year, Chuseok
3. Bandi and Luni's (반디앤루니스)
Bandi and Luni’s Bookstore is a franchise bookstore in Korea that is located at Seoul Express Bus Terminal, part of Shinsegae Shopping Mall.
This bookstore have 2 sections, one of which is a bookstore, and the other is more about office and school supplies that you can buy if you need one.
- Location: 227-7 Jayang 3(sam)-dong, Gwangjin-gu, Seoul, South Korea
- Opening Hours: 9:30AM–10PM
- Website: Bandi and luni’s
4. Coex Starfield Library - Most Famous Bookstore in Korea
Coex Mall Starfield Library is one of Korea’s most famous bookstores. You already saw this in drama or many pictures of Seoul’s must-visit areas.
This bookstore is located in the middle of COEX mall and is an excellent place if you love complete bookstores. Starfield Library contains over 50,000 books in various categories, such as humanities, economics, and hobbies.
Besides that, there are special sections of 400+ magazines from famous writers. In addition, you can choose to read the e-books on iPad if you prefer to read on tablet.
You can enjoy reading the text you want, enjoying a cup of delicious coffee, and taking some pictures to save the moment.
- Location: 955-9 Daechi-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul
- Opening Hours: 10:30 – 22:00, every day
5. Kyobo Bookstore - Largest Chain Bookstore in Korea
Kyobo Bookstore is the largest franchise bookstore chain in Korea, with about 10 stores in 7 different cities.
Their Seoul branch are quite hi-tech; you can find whatever books you want just through the electronic system. So you will save your time finding the books you want to read.
Other than that, there’s also a stationery store where you can easily find many valuable little items, a cute one, and a music store.
The good thing for a foreigner who wants to visit this bookstore in Korea is that there’s a foreign book corner with many books written in many different languages just for foreigners to enjoy.
- Location: 1, Jong-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul
- Opening Hours: 09:30 – 22:00
- Closed Days: Lunar New Year, Chuseok
6. Arc.n.Book - Most Aesthetic Bookstore in Korea
Arc N Book is one of the most famous bookstores in Korea. You can find it in our capital city Seoul. It is an open-space public library where you can freely enjoy the wonderful atmosphere while reading the thousands of books it offers.
Suppose you need help to read Hangul or understand the Korean language. In that case, this bookstore has hundreds of magazines written in English as well as CD albums, souvenirs, and other things you might be interested in while enjoying your coffee in the coffee shop inside this bookstore.
You can find all kinds of book genres for free, from humanity, economics, and even hobbies; Arc N book got you covered. Inside this bookstore, you will find four theme sections: Daily, Weekend, Style, and Inspiration, where you can easily find the books you need based on your moods.
In addition to all the fantastic features and the book it offers, Arc N Book is famous among foreign travelers due to its vintage looks and creative ‘Book Tunnel’ Display areas where many people take a shot and share it on their social media accounts.
FYI, The books in this book tunnel are the best seller books.
- Location:Hyundai Department Store 12F, 13 Yeonsei-ro, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul
- Opening Hours:10:00 – 22:00
Open all year round
7. Young Poong Books (영풍 문고)
Young Poong Books, known as YP Books, is a bookstore chain in south korea similar to America’s Barnes and Noble bookstore chain in the united states.
You can find this bookstore easily when traveling to major cities like Seoul and Busan. In case you want to visit their Seoul branch, just go to COEX Mall or Gwanghwamun area.
YP Books has many more English-written books than another bookstore in Seoul we mentioned here, so you can enjoy spending long hours reading your favorite books.
In addition to having a lot of English books, they also offer limitless options of stationery items, home decor, gifts, and art supplies.
- Location: 41 Cheonggyecheon-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul, South Korea
- Opening Hours: 09:30 – 22:00
8. Cheongun Literature Library
Cheongun Literature Library is one of the best libraries in Korea you can visit because it combines the traditional hanok interior design into a library, which makes you can still feel the vintage vibes inside this library.
This library is located near Inwangsan, so you can enjoy the landscape of Seoul as you visit this library.
- Location: 40 Jahamun-ro 36-gil, Cheongunhyoja-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul, South Korea
- Opening Hours: 10.00 – 22.00
9. Naver Library
Naver is the largest search engine in south korea; it is the Google of Korea. Here you don’t say ‘google it’ in Korea, but ‘never it.’ You can find this beautiful Library inside the office building in Seongnam, Gyeonggi-do.
You can enjoy the quiet and soft atmosphere of the Library. In addition, the design is green and filled with warm wood vibes, which is excellent for taking pictures. Note that you must have an identity card or passport to enter this Library.
- Location: NAVER Green Factory, 6, Buljeong-ro, Jeongja-dong, Bundang-gu, Seongnam-si, Gyeonggi-do, Korea
- Opening Hours:
Weekdays: 09.00 – 21.00
Weekends: 09.00 – 17.00
Closed on national holiday
Tips Before Go To Bookstore in Korea
Here are some tips If you want to visit some of the bookstores mentioned above during your travel.
- Learning Korean words related to books and bookstores in the Korean language will help you ask for guidance as you visit any bookstore in Seoul.
- Don’t worry if you need help understanding the Korean language because bookstore in Korea also offers English writing books for foreigner.
- If you need guidance in Korean regarding the book you want to read or how to go to your chosen bookstore, you can install Naver maps and Naver translations.
- The price of books in bookstores in Korea is relatively the same as the US and Asian ‘import’ books standard.
- Before you decide to buy any book, as you visit any bookstore in Korea, you can get the preview online of the text you want using their free wifi.
Basic Words Related To Bookstores in Korean
Credit to: The Korea Times
Before you visit the bookstore in Seoul, you want to learn some related phrases and words about books and bookstores. This will help you ask for guidance if you need help as you arrive at your bookstore destination.
Korea has so many great places to visit, including unique bookstores for travel to Korea.
With its vast selection of books and outstanding insta-worthy design, each of these libraries and bookstores in Korea will surely bring a unique experience for you, whether you are an avid reader or just looking for an excellent insta-worthy spot in Korea.
If you have free time and need a place to get new information and knowledge in Korea, please stop by one of these fantastic bookstores. You won’t regret it!
Which one of these bookstores in Korea do you plan to visit? Or have you seen one of them? Let us know in the comments sections below!
Check out our another article:
- Top 8 Unforgettable And Best Night Club in Seoul!
- Top 14 Foreigner Friendly English Speaking Hair Salons In Seoul!
- Top 20 Best Attractions and Things To Do in Yeosu!
- Top 5 Spring Flowers You Can Find In Jeju Island!
- 8 Best Canola (Rapeseed) Flowers Spot in Jeju Island!
- 11 Best Cherry Blossom Spot In Daegu!
- 21 Magical Places To See Cherry Blossoms in Korea 2022 [FULL GUIDE]