Korean Perm: All You Need To Know!
Korean perm are trending right now, and it’s not hard to see why. This hairstyle gives us a natural, effortless wave that lasts for months. In addition to that, this hairstyle makes us looks fresh, rebel yet tidy in the same time, and attractive for both gender male and female.
After looking the internet and do some diligent research, I plan to share everything I discover and learn about korean perm: from how they work, to what hair types are suitable for them, and how to maintain them. Get ready to achieve some serious hair goals!
Table of Contents
What is a Korean Perm?
A Korean perm is a type of hair treatment that creates soft, loose waves in the hair. It’s a modern variation of the traditional perm, and it’s often used to add volume and texture to straight or limp hair.
The process typically involves applying a chemical solution to the hair, wrapping it around rods or rollers, and then using heat to set the curls. The result is a natural-looking wave that doesn’t require much styling effort, making it a popular choice among busy individuals who want an effortless yet stylish looks.
Benefits of Korean Perm
There are several benefits to getting a Korean perm.
- Firstly, it adds volume and texture to your hair, making it look fuller and more voluminous.
- Secondly, the loose waves that a Korean perm creates are easy to style and maintain, making it an excellent choice for those who don’t have much time to spend on their hair but still want a stylish look.
- Additionally, Korean perms can also help reduce styling damage caused by frequent heat styling tools like curling irons or straighteners since they provide natural-looking waves without requiring additional heat.
Traditional Korean Perm vs Digital Korean Perm
Before going deeper into korean perm, let’s take a look of two different type of perm you can get in korea, traditional perm and digital perm.
Traditional Korean Perm
Traditional Perm pros and Cons.
- Known as cold perm
- Tight curls
- 2 hour duration
- Less hair damage
- Best for weak thin hair
- Need more maintenance
- Last up to 8 month
- Wave, Hippie and Baby perm
Digital Korean Perm
Digital Perm pros and cons.
- Known as hot perm
- Loose curls
- 3 – 4 hour duration
- High hair damage
- Best for strong thick hair
- Less maintenance
- Last longer up to 12 month
- Magic perm, lovely perm, setting perm, bob s and c curl perm
Popular Korean Perms For Men
Korean perms come in several types, each with its unique style and effects. Here are some of the most popular korean perm for men. Let’s take a look at each one of them.
1. As Perm (애즈펌)
As perm is the famous korean perm for men as it gives a bright natural looking to the hairstyle. In addition to it’s natural vibes, as perm help frame the face and shape it well compare to just normal bangs. I believe you can easily find korean men with as perm in korea.
If you have a huge foreheads, this type of perm is perfect for you as it will frame it, shape it and cover it really well. More than that, you can get this perm as cheap as 50 dollar in korea.
2. Garma Perm (가르마펌)
Garma perm, as known as parting perm is famous since Gong Yoo popularized this perm as he act in one of his famous netflix kdrama ‘Goblin’ or ‘Dokkaebi’ in korean language, most famous kdrama of all time.
If you confident and think your forehead is good, you definitely want to choose this type of perm. It gives weight and volume to your bangs as well as shows forehead and your face like an open curtain. In addition to that, you can also get this perm with just 50 bucks in korea.
3. Shadow Perm (쉐도우펌)
This is the perfect perm for those who have huge forehead and a shy, cool, close and mysterious personality. This type of perm close up the forehead areas and create some shadow in your face, which makes you looks even more mysterious.
The downside for this korean perm is that this perm has more layer of curl in the bangs which can be really hot if you often go out on a hot sunny day. More than that, it takes more effort to maintain this perm compare to another korean perm for men.
4. See Through Perm (시스루펌)
See Through Perm makes an M-shaped hairline which help shape your overall face. If you have a huge wide forehead but still want to show it on a different looks, then you can try see through perm, it will help shape and cover some part of your forehead.
4. Soft Spin Swallow Perm (소프트 스핀 스왈로 펌)
Soft spin swallow perm give a smooth and softer looks, perfect if you love to have a bangs that cover the forehead. This type of korean perm will makes you looks sweet, shy and cute.
Korean Perms For Women
There is no doubt Korean perms is famous among women in korea as well as all over the world. This hair trends came from the most influential actress and korean idol, so many fans all over the world follow their trends. Here are some of the most popular korean perms for women you can try!
1. Bonnie Perm (보니펌) | Korean Bob
Credit to Han Myung-Gu
Boonie Perm is the type of korean perm that combine C curls on the back and S curls on the side altogether on a short to medium haircut. Since IU has this hairstyle, Korean women suddenly got a korean bob syndrome since this hairstyle makes anyone looks fresh and younger.
2. Hippie Perm (히피펌)
Credit to Kim Go-eun in Cheese in the Trap
Hippie perm creates a rebel yet sexy exotic vibes compare to a normal straight tidy hair. However, you need to mix it with a tidy and neat outfit so you won’t looks like a lazy person who didn’t take care of yourself.
3. Magic Perm (매직펌)
Magic perm is one of the most favourite korean perm for women, since it gives a smooth straight hair style and texture. However, since magic straight perm removes the volume, people are going to magic setting perm to have both smooth and volume perm hairstyle just like Song Hye Kyo did.
4. Grace Perm (그레이스펌)
Grace perm is perfect korean perm for long hair, it will gives a really sweet feminine vibes. This type of korean perm for women is perfect during all seasons through out the year and match easily with whatever outfit you love.
5. C-Curl and S-Curl Perm
Here are the two common korean perm for women, C curl and S curl. As you can see the different between C Curl and S Curl is that the C Curl permed only at the end of the hair (inward / outward), while the rest of the hair is keep straight.
On the other hand, the S Curls comprise hard curl that makes your hair looks voluminous and wavier than the C Curl. You can choose based on your face and preference.
How Long Does Korean Perm Last?
The duration of your Korean perm depends on your hair type, maintenance routine, and which type of Korean perm you choose. If properly maintained through regular conditioning and styling, a Korean perm can last up to 6-10 months.
However, neglecting proper care can lead to frizziness and breakage, drastically reducing its lifespan. On average, they last between 3-6 months before growing out naturally. So, invest in good hair products and dedicate time to take care of your lovely locks is necessary if you want your korean perm to last longer!
As time passes, the curls can become looser and less defined, requiring extra maintenance to keep them looking their best. If you lead a busy lifestyle and don’t have much time for hair care, it is okay but you will have much lesser lifespan of korean perm.
How to Care Your Korean Perm
To maintain your perm’s texture and prevent frizzing or drying out:
- Avoid washing your hair too often (twice a week should suffice.)
- Use sulfate-free shampoos which won’t strip away natural oils from your scalp
- Apply leave-in conditioners regularly.
- With permed hair there is always the possibility of damage during styling processes with hot tools like straighteners or curling irons so minimize their use wherever possible.
Before Your Korean Perm: What You Need To Know.
Before committing to a Korean perm, there are some important things to consider.
- Firstly, ensure that your hair is in good condition and not damaged from previous chemical treatments or heat styling.
- Secondly, be honest with your stylist about your hair history as well as any sensitivities you may have.
- Thirdly, it’s also important to discuss your lifestyle and how much time you can devote to maintaining the perm by yourself.
- Lastly, keep in mind that depends on your type of Korean perms, sometimes it require a regular touch-ups and maintenance to keep the curls looking fresh and defined.
By taking these factors into consideration and communicating clearly with your hairstylist, you can achieve beautiful results and enjoy the magic of Korean perms!
Aftercare for Your New Korean Perm Looks!
Congratulations on your new Korean perm! Now that you have achieved the curly, bouncy locks you desire, it’s important to take care of them properly.
Here are some tips and suggestion in take care of your korean perm:
- First, avoid washing your hair for at least 24 hours after the treatment to allow the curls to set in.
- When you do wash your hair, use a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner that is specifically designed for curly hair to maintain moisture and prevent frizz.
- Avoid brushing or combing your hair when it’s wet to prevent breakage and damage to the curls. Instead, use a wide-tooth comb or your fingers to detangle gently.
- Lastly, don’t forget to schedule regular touch-up appointments with your stylist every few months to keep the curls looking fresh and defined!
In Average, how much Korean perm cost?
In average, korean perms for men cost around 50 bucks, however the price is fluctuates and of course depends on the hair saloon you go. While the average korean perms for women cost around 120 bucks since women has much longer hair than men.
Note: You don’t need to give tip to your hairstyler unless you know that the person are okay with it.
Korean Perm Sum Up
Choosing the right type of Korean perm is totally depends on your hair length, texture, and lifestyle. Consulting with a professional stylist is essential to determine which one suits you best for optimal results.
Korean Perms offer an excellent solution in achieving very natural-looking voluminous waves without having to use heat tools daily(ish) on straighter textured locks saving time in one’s everyday routine whilst feeling great at the same time!
Check out our another article:
- Korean Diet – Quick Guide To Korean Weight Loss Secret!
- IU Diet Plan For Beginners Who Want To Get Started!
- Best Soju Flavor – 14 Amazing Flavors to Try in 2023!
- Top 8 Best English-Speaking Plastic Surgery Clinics in Korea!
- Insider’s Guide To The Best Korean Ramen In Korea – Try It Now!
- Top 26 Best Korean Traditional Foods You Want To Try!